A St. Louis mother was given a lengthy sentence for abusing her children.
Lakechia Stanley, 34, will serve 78 years in prison after admitting to beating, whipping and waterboarding her three children.
Prosecutors said the horrific actions went far beyond child abuse and described it as "systematic torture" that not only left physical, but emotional scars on their three children.
The abuse came to light in 2011 when one of her children, who was 10 at the time, went to school complaining of pain in her arm. She was taken to a hospital where doctors determined her arm had been abused so badly that blood supply to the limb was restricted.
When investigators interviewed the children, they talked about being whipped with electrical cords, forced to take showers with scalding hot or freezing cold water.
During the sentencing, an attorney exclaimed, "[Lakechia] was supposed to be their mother, the one person they could trust. Instead she became a symbol of betrayal and fear, using every tool at her disposal to beat and torture her own innocent children."
Her husband, Andrew, was handed a 160-year sentence on related charges.
More from AOL
Chopin's heart exhumed in secret, like a relic
Maine teen charged with naked break-ins
One Direction, Bono sing to raise Ebola funds
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!