By RYAN GORMAN
Heartbreaking video posted online shows a California man singing to his ailing newborn son after his wife died during childbirth –- the child died only hours later.
Ashley Picco, 30, died Saturday while undergoing an emergency C-section to try to save the life of newborn Lennon only 24 weeks into her pregnancy. Lennon died four days after he was born.
The video posted to YouTube, by a friend, shows Chris Pico singing the Beatles' "Blackbird" to Lennon while he lies in an incubator at a Loma Linda hospital.
"My wife, best friend and mother of my child passed away," Chris Picco wrote online. "I have a lifetime to grieve this unspeakable loss."
The grieving man brought the guitar to the hospital to sing because deceased wife Ashley would often tell him during the pregnancy she felt Lennon moving while music played, according to the video's description.
Chris Picco played for the boy for several hours. His son died the next day.
Pictures posted online show the loving couple smiling together in the months before Ashley Picco's death.
They also show a devastated Chris Picco cradling his prematurely born son, kissing his toes and holding his hand, making the most of a heart-wrenching situation.
An online fundraiser has been setup to help pay for a joint-memorial service being held for mother and son.
"My little fighter, Lennon James Picco went to sleep in his daddy's arms late last night," Chris Picco wrote on the fundraiser's YouCaring page. "He was dressed in an outfit that Ashley bought for him, with little guitars on it, and wrapped in a blanket made by a dear friend.
"I am so thankful for the four unforgettable days I got to spend with him," Chris Picco continued. "His mommy would have been so beyond joy to see him and to hold him, touch him, bathe him, sing to him - as I have had the privilege of doing."
Ashley and Chris Picco married in 2007 after meeting in New York City while both volunteered at Ground Zero in the months following the 9/11 terror attacks.
She worked as a nurse for two years before her death and often played music together with husband Chris.
A memorial service for both mother and son will be held Saturday, November 15 at 7:30 p.m. local time, in California. It can be viewed online here.
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits pause — but still near 13-y…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Brighten up your day with these refreshing iced tea recipes
- ‘Unforgettable’ footage of mother-son dance goes viral across social m…
- These are the 12 absolute best Memorial Day deals you don’t want to mi…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!