Delicata squash with dried cranberries and quinoa
This easy, yet delicious, Delicata Squash with Dried Cranberries and Quinoa would be a lovely side to add to your Thanksgiving spread!
This lovely yellow squash is roasted with a little organic coconut sugar to bring out it's natural sweet flavor, which is then further enhanced by the addition of the dried cranberries. The savory flavor of the cheddar helps round out the sweetness of the other items, while the sunflower seeds and quinoa add a welcomed crunch, along with some protein!
You can have this dish on the table in a matter of 20-30 minutes, and you'll be chowing down on pure deliciousness, loaded with nutrition. We've eaten it for both dinner and lunch, but it would be such a great warm salad to add to your Thanksgiving menu.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 delicata squash, approximately 12 ounces
- 2 tsp organic coconut sugar, divided
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp dry quinoa
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1-2 ounces raw milk cheddar cheese, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray baking sheet with coconut oil cooking spray.
- While oven preheats, slice the delicata squash into ½" rings, discarding the ends and seeds from middle. Lay them flat, in single layer, on baking sheet and sprinkle with one teaspoon coconut sugar.
- Bake delicata squash for 10 minutes, then flip each piece over and bake additional 5 minutes, or until tender and cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to package directions. Once quinoa and squash have baked. Spoon quinoa out onto two plates/bowls, add sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, and raw cheddar, then top with roasted delicata squash. Sprinkle entire plate with remaining coconut sugar and serve!
- For a great Thanksgiving addition, chop the delicata squash into smaller pieces and toss all ingredients to form a warm, hearty, side to serve with your butterball turkey!
- Nutrition info is for 1.5 ounces of the raw cheddar cheese, split between two servings.
- Serving size: ½ recipe
- Calories: 391
- Fat: 12.9
- Saturated fat: 5.1
- Unsaturated fat: 3.6
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 40.5
- Sugar: 15
- Sodium: 127.5
- Fiber: 4.5
- Protein: 12.2
- Cholesterol: 22.5