On "Extreme Cheapskates," a cooking instructor and self proclaimed foodie decided to use some lobster for one of his classes ... that he found in the garbage.
Here's the catch, though –- he didn't tell his students where he had gotten the food until after they had eaten it.
"I got the lobster tails from a dumpster," the instructor admitted "We used the shells, we used the meat that was inside and left over and I made this incredible broth and you're eating it."
Yes, you heard that right –- Ron here picked lobster tails out of the dumpster. He also used wine from beach garbage cans and greens that grow in between the sidewalks around town. He maintains that it was all sanitary though -- everything was rinsed, boiled, or both.
As Ron was saying this, the people in his class looked either shocked or disgusted. But when he asked if this info changed how the food tasted, they all said in unison, "no."
In fact, multiple students said they liked the meal.
One said: "I really enjoyed the meal a lot, that's the [ironic] part about it that you find out that you basically were eating everybody's leftovers, but it turned into a great meal."
That general acceptance definitely was not happening on Twitter, though. Dozens of users posted about how disgusted they were by the crash course in cheapskate cuisine.
This phenomenon of dumpster-diving for food isn't new. A writer for the Splendid Table interviewed a journalist who did it for months to understand the movement.
"If you have never Dumpster-dived before, I think it is impossible to comprehend just how much food -- good food -- is being thrown away. It's really a visual shock."
We'll just take their word on that.
Also on AOL:
'19 Kids And Counting:' Watch Ben Seewald's sweet proposal to Jessa Duggar
Burlington man has eaten 95 meals at Olive Garden in 6 weeks
Man charged $3,750 for wine he thought cost ... $37.50
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance