By RYAN GORMAN
A C-SPAN caller referred on-air to President Barack Obama using the N-word, but the cable network refuses to consider even the most basic of censorship measures.
The Thursday morning call came as people continued to discuss the results of this week's midterm elections, and a spokesperson for the cable network insisted it will never put calls on a delay or use a so-called kill-button.
Anthony, from San Diego, began his call as most other C-SPAN callers do, talking about policy and expectations.
"I would just like to say, that the Republicans -- and I'm a Republican -- please do not overreach," said Anthony. "I know they're going to overreach but I'm telling you, if you advocate for the repeal of Obamacare and you get too extreme, then Hillary Clinton will be elected President in 2016."
Things then took a turn for the worse.
"This is about race," he added. "The Republicans hate that n****r Obama."
Host Steve Scully quickly ended the rant and moved to the next listener
"Okay, I'm gonna stop you there," said Scully. "We're not gonna use that kind of language.
"You can certainly make your point, but you cross the line when you use language like that," he continued. "And so to our viewers and listeners, I want to apologize."
But the damage was done.
C-SPAN communications director Howard Mortman, though, sees no harm in allowing these types of calls to continue.
"It's just not in our nature," Mortman told AOL News. "We've been taking calls for 30 years ... It's been a live town hall kind of format, sometimes these kind of calls get through.
"When you try new tech or advanced methods to block out objectionable calls, callers just find ways around them," Mortman insisted. "We just maintain our open forum."
The network has never used delays and never will, he explained, adding that it has nothing to do with cost.
"It's not our role to smother the speech of Americans."
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next ou…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Instagram says you need a Brandon Blackwood bag this summer — and now,…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!