DIY: Skin-changing and cellulite-fighting coconut coffee scrub
By She's in the Glow
The closest I have ever gotten to DIY experimentation is playing around with tropical wonder, coconut oil. While I may not be the most adventurous, I have discovered that there are soooo many unconventional ways to make use of coconut oil.
Recently, a friend and former Glow Girl gave me another tip to add to the coconut oil DIY list: The Coconut Coffee Scrub. This glorious self-made concoction actually works and is cheap too.
What you'll need:
- Extra-virgin, organic and pure coconue oil
- Ground coffee beans
This is how you can create, at home, one of the most magical body scrubs:
- Swing by the grocery store to buy extra-virgin, organic and pure coconut oil for the best beautifying results. My favorite is La Tourangelle.
- Then, grind up some coffee beans you have around the house (or buy them pre-ground). I used Stumptown coffee because it's the best coffee in the universe, and I am in there every single day
- In your shower or bath (do not combine outside because this makes a huge mess), and on dry skin, combine a small scoop (about 2 TBSP) of your favorite coconut oil with a large scoop (about 1/2 cup) of fresh, caffeinated coffee grounds until the grounds are completely soaked with the oil. You'll want this scrub to be exfoliator-heavy, so if it's feeling too watery, add more coffee.
- For an exfoliating treatment, firmly rub your whole body head to toe, focusing on those rough spots like the back of your arms, elbows, knees and feet.
- Then sit down in the shower and wait. I like to wait ten minutes. You can even get crazy and combine it with a power face or hair mask. So I don't die of boredom, I will rinse and dry my hands, grab my phone and scroll through Instagram or check my emails. You know, do whatever makes you happy.
- For a cellulite reducing treatment, firmly rub into affected areas using circular scrubbing motions. Continue for at least 5 minutes on each area. For added benefits, wait another 5-10 minutes post scrubbing to let everything dry. Again, in order to see dramatic results, you really have to do this at least every other day.
- Now, after you have waited, rinse, dry and apply your favorite lotion or oil and feel better already.
More from She's in the Glow:
The 6 best oils for fall that every girl needs
How to not look tired
The Super easy 10-step Korean Skincare Routine (for glowing skin)