(Reuters) - Two people were injured and the mayor of San Antonio's car was damaged when it was caught in crossfire in a drive-by shooting on Monday involving rival gangs, police said.
Mayor Ivy Taylor was not in the vehicle and her parked car was not a target, San Antonio police said.
"During the course of this afternoon's shooting, a vehicle belonging to Mayor Taylor and a building associated with her were hit," San Antonio Police said in a statement.
"There is no reason to believe that Mayor Taylor or her property were targets of this attack."
A spokesman for the mayor did not return calls seeking comment.
A car carrying four gang members chased down a group of rival gang members, cornering them and opening fire, according to Police Chief William McManus.
About two dozen shots were fired. One man was shot in the leg and another in the abdomen, McManus said.
Photos of the mayor's Nissan Altima posted on the San Antonio Express-News website showed a parked car with one rear window shot open. The car was parked near a business where her husband works, the paper said.
San Antonio's city council in July elected Taylor mayor of the seventh most populous U.S. city, making the Yale graduate the first African American to hold the post.
Taylor, a housing executive in San Antonio before being elected to city council in 2009, took over from Julian Castro, who resigned to take a cabinet post in the Obama administration heading up the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!