A skin-eating fungus is now a severe threat to salamander populations in Europe, according to a new study.
Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans, or Bs, is deadly to almost all salamanders but appears to spare other amphibians. And yes, it's BS.
Researchers think the fungus originated with salamander hosts somewhere in Asia. Their evidence suggests it's been around for some 30 million years and only started to spread as humans moved salamanders around the globe.
One co-author who talked to the BBC points to the amphibian import trade - aka salamanders as pets - saying those millions of salamanders brought to the U.S. and Europe from Asia pose a significant risk of spreading the fungus.
Fire salamanders in the Netherlands, for example, have been devastated - Bs cut their population down to four percent of what it was four years ago.
The diverse Salamander species in the U.S. are so far uninfected, but the study authors warn if the fungus catches on and spreads it could be uncontrollable.
"The fact that Bs can be spread by multiple species of carriers puts it among 'the most worrisome' kinds of pathogens," one ecologist told National Geographic. "Such disease-causing agents are the most likely to cause extinctions."
Another told the New York Times Bs poses the risk of a domino effect in the larger environment. "We need to think about biosecurity not just in terms of humans and food that we eat and crops that we grow. We need to think about functioning ecosystems."
The results of this study have been published in the journal Science.
More from AOL
Giant drill bit narrowly misses NYC subway car
Flying cars are no longer 'science fiction'
31 inches wide. 9,800 feet up. That's a bridge
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program