Most of us have been probably been there -- you've had a couple drinks and are sitting there deciding whether you should grab one more. But what if you knew the calorie count in that next pint of beer or glass of wine?
That's what the London-based Royal Society for Public Health is calling for in the European Union after performing a nationwide survey on whether people knew how many calories were in drinks.
Turns out, people generally don't know how many calories are in their drinks, and that can lead to weight gain, according to the Royal Society for Public Health.
Comparing drinks to food, the health organization says one large glass of white wine equals about one slice of pizza at 180 calories.
A pint of beer sits around 170 calories, or your average doughnut.
And a Pina Colada? A whopping 450 calories, or the same as a McDonald's double cheeseburger. Yikes.
With alcohol itself not necessarily being a cause of weight gain, the society notes the relationship between obesity and alcohol is complex. It also says additives such as sugar need to be considered.
In an interview with The Telegraph, a British Beer & Pub Association spokeswoman said while they don't disagree with calorie labeling, space may be an issue.
The European Commission will rule in December on whether to require mandatory calorie labeling on alcoholic beverages throughout the E.U.
Also on AOL:
Meet the 'real' Annabelle doll
Handler brawls with Instagram over topless pic
2 years later: Superstorm Sandy recovery
Network takes final stance on global warming
- Quick! Grab this top-rated robot vacuum for over 40% off right now
- Help me out, fam: How do I make the most of a seriously small kitchen?
- The Litas find adventure and community on motorcycles: ‘You can just s…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Hilarious Kid Answers To Test Questions
- These Cake Messages Are Wrong In So Many Ways
- These Pregnancy Announcements Are Brilliantly Hilarious
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…