Most of us have been probably been there -- you've had a couple drinks and are sitting there deciding whether you should grab one more. But what if you knew the calorie count in that next pint of beer or glass of wine?
That's what the London-based Royal Society for Public Health is calling for in the European Union after performing a nationwide survey on whether people knew how many calories were in drinks.
Turns out, people generally don't know how many calories are in their drinks, and that can lead to weight gain, according to the Royal Society for Public Health.
Comparing drinks to food, the health organization says one large glass of white wine equals about one slice of pizza at 180 calories.
A pint of beer sits around 170 calories, or your average doughnut.
And a Pina Colada? A whopping 450 calories, or the same as a McDonald's double cheeseburger. Yikes.
With alcohol itself not necessarily being a cause of weight gain, the society notes the relationship between obesity and alcohol is complex. It also says additives such as sugar need to be considered.
In an interview with The Telegraph, a British Beer & Pub Association spokeswoman said while they don't disagree with calorie labeling, space may be an issue.
The European Commission will rule in December on whether to require mandatory calorie labeling on alcoholic beverages throughout the E.U.
Also on AOL:
Meet the 'real' Annabelle doll
Handler brawls with Instagram over topless pic
2 years later: Superstorm Sandy recovery
Network takes final stance on global warming
- Can’t afford the Dyson Airwrap? Amazon shoppers say these $23 hot r…
- This gardening tool lets you weed your yard without bending over — gra…
- Nordstrom shoppers are raving about how well these white pants fit: ‘I…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Hilarious Kid Answers To Test Questions
- These Cake Messages Are Wrong In So Many Ways
- These Pregnancy Announcements Are Brilliantly Hilarious
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate edges up again
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise