By RYAN GORMAN
Retailers have decided Thanksgiving Day is for bargain shoppers, not spending time at the dinner table with family.
Both Kohl's and Macy's have announced they will open at 6:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day to satiate Black Friday bargain shoppers. Other stores will open at midnight.
Belk Department Stores, with stores mostly in the South and Midwest, will also open at 6:00 p.m. Thanksgiving Day, the chain told CNBC. The retailer opened last year at 8:00 p.m. on the holiday.
Other retailers including J.C. Penney, Target and Wal-Mart also opened on Thanksgiving Day last year but have yet to announce their holiday plans.
Macy's flagship Herald Square store, past which the famous Thanksgiving Day Parade marches on its course through midtown Manhattan, had 15,000 people stand on line to fight their way in last year when the location opened at 8:00 p.m., a company spokesperson told CNBC.
Brick and mortar retailers have begun opening earlier each year as they begin to feel the squeeze from online shopping.
Macy's opened on Thanksgiving Day for the first time last year after opening at midnight on Black Friday in 2012.
Many stores have drawn a line in the sand and refuse to open on Thanksgiving day, but they are opening before sunrise on Black Friday.
Home Depot and Lowe's home improvement stores will open at 5:00 a.m. on Friday, as will select T.J.Maxx and Marshalls stores –- with the rest opening two hours later.
"We consider ourselves an associate-friendly company, and we are pleased to give our associates the time to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends," TJX spokeswoman Doreen Thompson told CNBC.
Macy's insisted to CNBC that the majority of its Thanksgiving Day shifts are being filled voluntarily because employees are paid time-and-a-half for working the holiday.
No matter their Black Friday strategy, retailers are beginning to feel the heat.
The Internet never sleeps.
- Woman wonders if she should give her in-laws’ gift back: ‘They obvi…
- Make perfectly fluffy scrambled eggs that never stick with this top-ra…
- Blind and deaf dog has sweet reaction to owner ‘testing’ his senses: ‘…
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Latest mortgage news: Rates keep pushing past 6% to a 14-year high
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Hilarious Kid Answers To Test Questions
- These Cake Messages Are Wrong In So Many Ways
- These Pregnancy Announcements Are Brilliantly Hilarious