By RYAN GORMAN
A Long Island man beheaded his mother, played with her severed head and then jumped in front of a train, police said.
Patricia Ward, 66, was found dead Tuesday night near her Farmingdale home. Derek Ward, her 35-year-old son, died after jumping in front of a Long Island Railroad train about a half-mile away, authorities said.
The grim murder was capped off when Derek Ward allegedly kicked his mother's head across the street like a soccer ball, neighbors told investigators, according to the New York Daily News.
Patricia Ward, first identified by the New York Post, was wearing only a bra and pants when police found her, according to one witness.
"The body's feet were at the curb, the shoulders were at the middle of the street. The head was across the street," Frank Imperial told the paper. "I've seen some gruesome stuff in my years of living ... but nothing like this. I didn't expect to see something like this, especially not out here."
Authorities believe she was murdered inside her nearby residence.
A neighbor told the Daily News that he saw blood on the floor of the building.
"It was all over, as if someone could've been pulling a body," said Nick Gordon. "You could see the smears going down the stairs."
Neighbors initially believed the grisly scene was a Halloween prank, according to reports.
An eastbound train was delayed nearly two hours after striking Derek Ward around 8:15 p.m., the station reported. Passengers were not allowed off until after another train arrived at nearly 10:30 p.m.
Patricia Ward was a beloved professor at nearby Farmingdale State College, according to WABC.
"We are in shock," a school official told the Post. "The staff in her department is teary-eyed. We are providing counseling to the staff who need it. It's a very sad day. A lot of people are taking it very hard."
Derek Ward was revealed by police to have been previously arrested gun possession and criminal mischief. Cops also said he has a decade-long history of documented mental problems.
Authorities have yet to establish a motive for the horrific murder-suicide.
An investigation remains ongoing.
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate edges up again
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Can’t afford the Dyson Airwrap? Amazon shoppers say these $23 hot r…
- This gardening tool lets you weed your yard without bending over — gra…
- Nordstrom shoppers are raving about how well these white pants fit: ‘I…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!