By RYAN GORMAN
A Long Island man beheaded his mother, played with her severed head and then jumped in front of a train, police said.
Patricia Ward, 66, was found dead Tuesday night near her Farmingdale home. Derek Ward, her 35-year-old son, died after jumping in front of a Long Island Railroad train about a half-mile away, authorities said.
The grim murder was capped off when Derek Ward allegedly kicked his mother's head across the street like a soccer ball, neighbors told investigators, according to the New York Daily News.
Patricia Ward, first identified by the New York Post, was wearing only a bra and pants when police found her, according to one witness.
"The body's feet were at the curb, the shoulders were at the middle of the street. The head was across the street," Frank Imperial told the paper. "I've seen some gruesome stuff in my years of living ... but nothing like this. I didn't expect to see something like this, especially not out here."
Authorities believe she was murdered inside her nearby residence.
A neighbor told the Daily News that he saw blood on the floor of the building.
"It was all over, as if someone could've been pulling a body," said Nick Gordon. "You could see the smears going down the stairs."
Neighbors initially believed the grisly scene was a Halloween prank, according to reports.
An eastbound train was delayed nearly two hours after striking Derek Ward around 8:15 p.m., the station reported. Passengers were not allowed off until after another train arrived at nearly 10:30 p.m.
Patricia Ward was a beloved professor at nearby Farmingdale State College, according to WABC.
"We are in shock," a school official told the Post. "The staff in her department is teary-eyed. We are providing counseling to the staff who need it. It's a very sad day. A lot of people are taking it very hard."
Derek Ward was revealed by police to have been previously arrested gun possession and criminal mischief. Cops also said he has a decade-long history of documented mental problems.
Authorities have yet to establish a motive for the horrific murder-suicide.
An investigation remains ongoing.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Nikki and Brie Bella share their must-have mom gear ahead of Mother…
- There are so many cute tie-dye joggers on sale for cheap at Nordstrom …
- These geometric wine glasses will make even Trader Joe’s wine feel fan…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!