2 dead, including gunman, 3 injured in Washington school shooting



Two students are dead and four more are injured after a school shooting in Washington state.

Gunman Jaylen Fryberg is dead, police have confirmed. He committed suicide after opening fire inside the cafeteria around 10:45 a.m. at Marysville-Pilchuck High School, according to the Seattle Times.

He is believed to be the only suspect in the shooting and used a Beretta .40-caliber handgun, federal law enforcement sources told KIRO.

Fryberg, a Native-American Indian, was first named by KIRO. He was named freshman homecoming prince just weeks ago.

He also was recently suspended from school for fighting, according to the station. He reportedly had been bullied for being Native American, but issues with a girlfriend appear to have been the main catalyst behind his shooting rampage.

The other dead student, a female, has not been identified.

A local hospital has received three patients, one of them shot in the head, according to KIRO. A fourth shooting victim is expected to arrive. At least one student was airlifted from the scene, according to Fox 6.

"I didn't know him personally, it seemed like he had a lot of friends," said a student named Robert who spoke to KIRO. "He did not seem like that type of person."

The shell-shocked student did not see the shooting, but still seemed disturbed by the morning's events.

"It's crazy to think something like this happened at our school," Robert said from inside the school while on lockdown with about 40 other students.

The gunman opened fire during Robert's lunchtime, but he was not in the cafeteria because he decided "to walk around" instead.

He recalled diving into a classroom and quickly locking the door when the gunfire erupted.

Another student, Dwayne Kadell, told the station he was only feet from the gunman when the incident occurred.

"I heard four [shots] "gak, gak, gak, gak," I thought someone was kicking the door," Kadell told the station. "Then I heard "gak, gak," people started running and screaming it was a gun."

"I never been through anything like this in my life," he continued. "It was so scary, I just ran."

Tweets from inside the school, unearthed by the Daily Dot, detail the horrors seen by students.

The condition of the injured students is not known, but law enforcement told the paper the gunman died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Aerial shots showed dozens of students running out of the school with their hands in the air, a few were brought out in handcuffs before being bizarrely released without incident.

SWAT officers could be seen running around the parking lot and school grounds with assault rifles drawn as they swept the suburban Seattle property for suspects.

Police also scoured the high school's football stadium, outdoor bathrooms and other buildings as if in a war zone while students gathered in the parking lot.

Many students told KIRO they were evacuated to a nearby church.

"You never think it will be your school in a random shooting," senior student Rigo Perez told KIRO. "It was just a normal day and then a shooting happened."

Police: 2 Dead, 4 Wounded In Seattle-Area High School Shooting
Police: 2 Dead, 4 Wounded In Seattle-Area High School Shooting