A soccer team in India is mourning the loss of one of their players who died after suffering serious injury while celebrating a goal.
23-year-old Peter Biaksangzuala cartwheeled into a backflip after scoring the only goal for the Bethlehem Vengthlang FC in India's Mizoram Premier League Tuesday.
His teammates rushed over to celebrate with him but found him face down and unresponsive. He was rushed to the hospital where he spent 5 days in intensive care before succumbing to his injuries.
The team retired his jersey number, 21, and released a statement on its Facebook page, saying, "The doctors did their best to help him fight for his life...As Peter sleeps, the world can rest in the knowledge that someone out there would be able to see and the football pitch will always be one man down. And heaven has gained a defensive midfielder; apart from the hard tackles and the breaking up of attacks, goal celebrations will never be painful anymore."
Goal celebrations have taken painful turns before.
Brazilian soccer star Maurides became injured after scoring his first career goal last year. His celebration-gone-wrong resulted in a sprained knee and he had to leave the game.
But no one could expect a post-goal celebration to end as tragically as it did for Biaksangzuala.
Also on AOL:
'Monday Night' clash decided on dizzying stretch
Giant hole continues to swallow town
Is romance in the air for 'DWTS' couple?
Scientists unveil what King Tut looked like
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Nikki and Brie Bella share their must-have mom gear ahead of Mother…
- There are so many cute tie-dye joggers on sale for cheap at Nordstrom …
- These geometric wine glasses will make even Trader Joe’s wine feel fan…
- 4 Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- Fly Practically Free With These 5 Travel Cards
- Best Credit Cards of 2021. We did the research. Find a better card now