By KELSEY DRISCOLL
As we head into the long Columbus Day Weekend, take a moment to look back at the past week in photos.
Protests sprang up again in Hong Kong on Friday, the Associated Press reports, despite the government having set an October 6th deadline for protestors to end their demonstrations. Pro-democracy activists have been running the movement, also known as the Umbrella Revolution, since September 26. Thousands of protestors have occupied main roads and blocked off buildings making for quite a juxtaposition at times as can be seen above in the image leading our weekly photo roundup.
Alongside the protests, business as usual seemed to carry on for a model in a photo shoot who poses for pictures a few feet from an occupying protester. Support for the movement had been waning until Friday's revival, which was sparked by the government's decision to call off talks with student leaders.
Festivals and holidays were observed by various cultures this week. Many beautiful photos came from the Muslim celebration of Eid al-Adha, also called the Feast of the Sacrifice, as well as rituals from India and Indonesia. Other events around the world included the human towers competition in Spain, Germany's Festival of Lights, and the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships in China.
In sports, the San Francisco Giants and Washington Nationals completed the longest postseason game in the history of Major League Baseball, and hockey season began in the United States and Canada. Week 5 of the NFL football season also provided us with some impressive pictures.
Not to be outdone, the so-called 'blood moon' became the subject of several of the week's best photos, as a colorful total lunar eclipse occurred overnight on Wednesday.
Check back next Friday for our selection of the best photos from the next seven days.
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits pause — but still near 13-y…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Enjoy meatballs without the meat with these plant-based recipes
- Take French toast to the next level with these stuffed French toast re…
- Woman does double take when Dunkin’ receipt says her iced coffee has 5…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!