By RYAN GORMAN
A suburban Chicago teen trying to join ISIS was arrested at O'Hare International Airport trying to board a flight to the Middle East, authorities said.
Mohammed Hamzah Khan, 19, of Bolingbrook, was attempting to fly to Istanbul, Turkey, from the Windy City, the feds said. He faces 15 years in prison.
Authorities were told of his plot after Khan's parents read a letter he left inviting them to join the Islamic State, according to a criminal complaint obtained by AOL News.
Khan bemoaned having to pay taxes that would be used to kill his "Muslim brothers and sisters," the complaint said. He was also upset with the decline of Western society.
"I do not want my kids being exposed to filth like this," Khan wrote, according to the filing. "I extend an invitation, to my family, to join me in the Islamic State."
The teen also detailed plans to meet an ISIS contact after landing in Turkey before making a final plea to his parents.
"FIRST and FOREMOST, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO NOT TELL THE AUTHORITIES," he allegedly wrote in the letter. "For if this were to happen it will jeopardize not only the safety of us, but our family as well."
A search of Khan's room also uncovered a treasure trove of pro-ISIS propaganda including drawings of the Islamic State Flag and another of an ISIS rebel with the words "come to jihad" written in Arabic, authorities said.
Khan told agents "he expected to be involved in some type of public service, a police force, humanitarian work, or a combat role," according to the affidavit.
The would-be-mujahedeen has been detained without bail, the Chicago Tribune reported. He was led away in an orange jail jumpsuit as his father put an arm around his crying mother, according to WFLD.
The teen terror suspect is due again in court on October 9. He will be held until at least that date.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!