'The Fault In Our Stars' was one of the most profitable films of the year. But one California school didn't find the story suitable for students.
The movie is based off John Green's novel about a love story involving terminally ill teens. But as touching as the story is, the Riverside School District says its sexual content is too graphic for middle schoolers. A committee voted to pull the novel from schools after one parent voiced concern over the sexual content and crude language.
Karen Krueger told The Press Enterprise she didn't want to come off as prude, but she, quote, "just didn't think it was appropriate for an 11-, 12-, 13-year-old to read." She said she was "really shocked it was in a middle school."
Some committee members agreed, but others said the book gave students a rare look into what young cancer patients go through.
But what does John Green think about this? He has mixed feelings.
A Tumblr user brought the school's decision to his attention and this was his response:
"I am happy because apparently young people in Riverside, California will never witness or experience mortality since they won't be reading my book, which is great for them.
But I am also sad because I was really hoping I would be able to introduce the idea that human beings die to the children of Riverside, California and thereby crush their dreams of immortality."
The school district decided the book will still be allowed at its high schools.
Also on AOL:
Wedding vows turn newlyweds into stars
Prince wins his 'fight for justice' against industry
Jury reaches decision in poisoning case
Donald Trump may sue over tweet
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!