By MORGAN WHITAKER
Long before Jimmy Fallon ushered in a new era of the "Tonight Show" with the "Evolution of Hip-Hop Dancing" and years before we even heard "here's Johnny," a comedian named Steve Allen launched what would become an iconic program on September 27, 1954.
When "Tonight starring Steve Allen" debuted on network television six decades ago only about half of all Americans homes had TVs, compared to upwards of 95 percent today.
Allen helmed the fledgling NBC late night comedy show for three years, before passing the reins to Jack Paar for the next five years.
In 1962 Johnny Carson began a 30-year run as host of the show, quickly becoming a fixture in American pop culture and comedy with popular segments ranging from Johnny's Animal Planet to Carnac the Magnificent.
Jay Leno took over hosting duties in 1992, beginning a run that lasted more than two decades -- if you ignore the interruption when NBC executives briefly gave the hosting gig to Conan O'Brien before they decided they had made a mistake and shoved O'Brien out again.
Leno handed the program off a little less begrudgingly to Fallon this January, who has since led the show into a more digitally-focused era with a strong web presence and tons of YouTube hits.
In addition to our favorite images of the last sixty years of "Tonight Show" history above, be sure to check out some of the top video clips from the show below.
- Your Best Refinance Rates for January 2022
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- This top-rated therapy light used to treat seasonal depression is o…
- 10 affordable Anthropologie gold mirror dupes that are just as stunnin…
- This gorgeous Kate Spade purse is over $130 off at the most unlikely r…
- Latest mortgage news: Rates jump to their highest since March 2020
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise