Tyler Maddick, a 20-year-old fashion photographer based in Wales, became the victim of a brutal hate crime that left him blind in one eye.
Maddick, who is gay, was walking home late Thursday night when a car pulled up beside him. He heard homophobic slurs moments before being covered in liquid.
He immediately ran home and washed out his eyes as he felt them burning. The next day, doctors at a local hospital told him he was blind in his left eye.
Several years ago, Maddick lost 90% of his vision in his left eye because of a bacterial infection. The recent attack took the rest of it.
He told WalesOnline he was completely shocked by the whole thing. "I think I was more angry than anything. I'm quite a strong-minded person and it wasn't so much that they had done it, it was the fact that they targeted me because if they can pick on me they can pick on anyone."
But he says it won't stop him from pursuing his passion as a photographer. Police have yet to find any witnesses as they investigate.
According to a study by a British LGBTQ rights group, 17% of LGBTQ citizens have fallen victim to perpetrators within the last three years and 20% of those victims are threatened with bodily harm.
Also on AOL:
Explosive new details surface on Rivers' death
Autopsy reveals cause of death for slain Britons
Major break in hunt for Pa. murder suspect
New York man, 30, accused of trying to aid ISIS
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!