On September 16th in 1932, Ghandi started his fast in protest against the British government. This hunger strike was initiated when the British government interfered with India's electoral system and separated the electoral system by caste. Ghandi's hunger strike was an example of his practice of civil disobedience through passive resistance.
Other Events on September 16th:
1810: The Mexican War of Independence against Spain was initiated with the "Cry of Dolores."
1940: The first US peacetime military draft was imposed as a result of the Burke-Wadsworth Act.
1993: TV Sitcom, Frasier, debuted on NBC.
2008: The Federal US Government announced an emergency loan of $85 billion would be made to rescue the world's largest insurance firm, AIG.
2013: Miley Cyrus and Chris Hemsworth broke off their 15-month engagement.
See photos of Miley Cyrus:
- Latest mortgage news: After flirting with 6%, rates retreat
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- ‘To the boy who doesn’t let anything get him down’: Mom honors Disa…
- Nordstrom shoppers are raving about how well these white pants fit: ‘I…
- These are the 25 fashion and beauty deals you don’t want to miss at Am…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!