On September 16th in 1932, Ghandi started his fast in protest against the British government. This hunger strike was initiated when the British government interfered with India's electoral system and separated the electoral system by caste. Ghandi's hunger strike was an example of his practice of civil disobedience through passive resistance.
Other Events on September 16th:
1810: The Mexican War of Independence against Spain was initiated with the "Cry of Dolores."
1940: The first US peacetime military draft was imposed as a result of the Burke-Wadsworth Act.
1993: TV Sitcom, Frasier, debuted on NBC.
2008: The Federal US Government announced an emergency loan of $85 billion would be made to rescue the world's largest insurance firm, AIG.
2013: Miley Cyrus and Chris Hemsworth broke off their 15-month engagement.
See photos of Miley Cyrus:
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!