For the first time on record, over half of American adults are single.
Such information was first gathered and documented by the government in 1976.
At that time, just over 37 percent of grown-ups in the U.S. were flying solo, but the number has been increasing since.
The 50 percent mark was passed in July of 2014. The report released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics revealed that among the over 124 million single people in America, 30 percent of them have never been married. Around 20 percent have a status of divorced, separated, or widowed.
The trend towards single living is expected to have a large impact on the economy, as the wed and unwed differ in more ways than just their marital status.
The absence of dependents significantly alters how much spare money individuals have and how they choose to spend it.
Beyond shopping habits, the trend toward staying or becoming single is expected to influence politics and society.
Also on AOL:
$139M mansion becomes most expensive listing in U.S.
3 flying myths you should know
Weird things you do when you're home alone
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!