By RYAN GORMAN
Surprising new information about the majority of Americans earning minimum wage has been revealed in a new poll.
About half of the 1.532 million people holding down a $7.25 an hour job are young (16-24), a staggering majority are not minorities and most work only part-time, according to the Pew Research Institute. But their numbers are dwindling.
Half of all minimum wage workers are women and 77 percent are white, Pew said. About 64 percent do not work full-time.
A further review of Bureau of Labor Statistics data by Pew found that the share of workers at or below the minimum wage has been steadily declining over the past few decades.
The ranks of minimum wage employees have dropped from 13.4 percent of hourly workers in 1979 to only 4.3 percent in 2013, according to the federal government.
This new information comes as workers around the country are protesting to support the "Fight for 15," an effort to get the minimum wage up to $15 per hour.
Fast food employees make up the bulk of the protesters and the bulk of minimum wage employees, 1.5 million, to be exact.
The rest can be found scattered from sales and retail to office workers, and buildings and maintenance employees to even the healthcare sector.
But the protests have been staged outside McDonald's, Burger King and other burger joints whose locations are more eponymous with lower wages.
Several states including Alaska, California, Florida, Oregon and Washington have moved to mandate higher minimum wages – none have approached $15 per hour.
Chicago and Seattle are considering proposals to raise the minimum wage within city limits to $15 per hour.
Adjusted for inflation, the $7.25 per hour minimum wage buys more than it has in decades, according to Pew, but it clearly is not enough.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.06% APR. Can you save?
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Pay No Interest Until Nearly 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- 6 Reasons We Call This The Best Cash Back Card of 2021
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for May 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program