By RYAN GORMAN
Surprising new information about the majority of Americans earning minimum wage has been revealed in a new poll.
About half of the 1.532 million people holding down a $7.25 an hour job are young (16-24), a staggering majority are not minorities and most work only part-time, according to the Pew Research Institute. But their numbers are dwindling.
Half of all minimum wage workers are women and 77 percent are white, Pew said. About 64 percent do not work full-time.
A further review of Bureau of Labor Statistics data by Pew found that the share of workers at or below the minimum wage has been steadily declining over the past few decades.
The ranks of minimum wage employees have dropped from 13.4 percent of hourly workers in 1979 to only 4.3 percent in 2013, according to the federal government.
This new information comes as workers around the country are protesting to support the "Fight for 15," an effort to get the minimum wage up to $15 per hour.
Fast food employees make up the bulk of the protesters and the bulk of minimum wage employees, 1.5 million, to be exact.
The rest can be found scattered from sales and retail to office workers, and buildings and maintenance employees to even the healthcare sector.
But the protests have been staged outside McDonald's, Burger King and other burger joints whose locations are more eponymous with lower wages.
Several states including Alaska, California, Florida, Oregon and Washington have moved to mandate higher minimum wages – none have approached $15 per hour.
Chicago and Seattle are considering proposals to raise the minimum wage within city limits to $15 per hour.
Adjusted for inflation, the $7.25 per hour minimum wage buys more than it has in decades, according to Pew, but it clearly is not enough.
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- The Best States to Retire in 2022
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Turn Your Home Equity Into Cash Before a Recession
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Home Equity Surges: Compare Home Equity Loans
- Age 62+? Take this Quiz to Qualify for a Home Equity Conversion
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps New Home Buyers Qualify to Buy
- 5 Best Cash Back Credit Cards For 2022
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- 3 Cards That Can Help You Take Your Dream Vacation
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold