The day after 14-year-old Kelli O'Laughlin was allegedly murdered, her mother began receiving text messages from her phone.
Kelli's mother, Brenda says she found her daughter's body in October 2011. She had been stabbed multiple times in the neck, back and chest. At first, she thought her daughter committed suicide -- but prosecutors say Kelli was killed by John Wilson Jr. when he broke into the Chicago home in an attempt to burglarize it.
A day after the gruesome death, Brenda began receiving text messages from her daughter's cell phone.
The messages said, "Love your pic" and, "She wanted me to tell you something before I killed her" followed by, "Think I'm in love with you Bren." Eventually investigators linked Wilson to her phone by tracking its GPS signal with his personal phone. They noticed where one phone went, the other was always with it.
Wilson has a long history of criminal violence -- most recently he received an 11-year-sentence for robbery. But a defense attorney maintains its still possible Kelly committed suicide.
She told WLS-TV, "There is a lot of evidence that shows it could have been anyone, and the police just focused in on him and there's just nothing connecting him to it."
The trial began on September 4th and is expected to last two weeks.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- People can’t get enough of maude’s wellness products: ‘Absolutely l…
- Block the sun (and haters) with this sun hat that’s perfect for big he…
- This vegetarian ramen recipe will put your college instant noodles to …
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!