By RYAN GORMAN
The Dutch man believed by many to have killed Alabama teen Natalee Holloway in 2005 has made a cell phone video about his life in a Peruvian prison.
Joran van der Sloot, 27, is serving a 28-year term behind bars for the 2010 murder of a young woman in Lima. He was recently transferred from the capitol to a facility in the Andes mountains.
"I am making this video for my own security," he says at the start of the 46-second video, first made public by NBC News, before wondering aloud why the prison warden handed him a cell phone.
The recently-married killer looks different than he has in the past. He has a Mohawk and a bushy beard. Prison life also appears to have aged him a bit.
The video starts with van der Sloot casually laying back in bed before bizarrely cutting to footage of a prison guard measuring his blood pressure.
Van der Sloot landed in the slammer after pleading guilty to the 2010 murder of Stephany Flores, 21.
He was previously serving his time in a jail in Lima, but was sent up into the mountains after threatening to kill a prison guard.
Conditions at the prison, at an altitude of more than 15,000 feet, were so bad he staged a hunger strike, according to the New York Daily News.
This video is only the latest twist in van der Sloot's somewhat charmed life behind bars.
He married Peruvian girlfriend Leidy Figueroa after meeting and impregnating her while in prison. The Dutch national will soon become a father. She was at the prison to visit a relative when the pair first locked eyes, according to reports.
Van der Sloot is due to be extradited to the United States to face charges from when he extorted Holloway's family of $25,000 after promising to take the girl's grieving mother to her body.
Holloway vanished without a trace during a 2005 class trip to Aruba, where van der Sloot was living at the time. He was eyed as the main suspect but never charged with any crime due to a lack of evidence.
His sentence will end in 2038.
Joran van der Sloot ties the knot in Peru prison
Peru lawyer: Jailed Van der Sloot to be a father
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- Oily skin babes love this hyaluronic moisturizer that’s under $20 o…
- This best-selling $14 eye cream on Amazon ‘is the one you will never w…
- Hurry! All Saints is offering 70 percent off on dozens of styles for a…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance