In California, the Department of Public Health reports 61 confirmed cases of measles so far this year - that's more than three times the amount reported the same time last year, and the second highest in the country.
The U.S. is seeing a rise of measles cases and experts say it could be due to the fact that parents aren't vaccinating their children as much.
This year the CDC reports as of August 25, there have been 592 confirmed cases in 21 states. As you can see by this chart, that's a big difference from previous years.
In fact, the Los Angeles Times reports parents in the state are deciding against vaccinating their kindergarten-age children at twice the rate they did seven years ago, despite it being a state law.
And in other states like Idaho, Illinois, Michigan and Vermont more than 4.5% of kindergartners last year were unvaccinated for non-medical reasons.
Measles is a highly contagious viral disease. It begins with a fever and is followed by an itchy rash along with several other uncomfortable symptoms. Most children get vaccinated around the time they turn 1, then again before they begin kindergarten.
From 2 to 5 percent of people don't respond to their first dose of the vaccine... But more than 99 percent of people develop immunity to measles after two doses, which is why it can be very helpful. So why the push back?
There are a couple of reasons. Some believe the vaccinations can cause autism in their children, a theory scientists have not supported. Other parents believe there are more benefits to feeding their children a healthy diet, rather than treating them with medicine. Even celebrities like Jenny McCarthy and Aidan Quinn have voiced support for the anti-vaccination movement.
Currently Ohio has the largest number of confirmed measles cases with at least 138 reported.
Also on AOL:
Historic NYC ban lifted for St. Paddy's Day
Anderson is unrecognizable on mag cover
Obama: 'Estonia will neverstand alone'
Is this moth blessed or cursed?
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!