By MORGAN WHITAKER
If you know anyone who flies regularly, you've probably seen more than a couple pictures taken through an airplane window on Facebook or Instagram, but you probably haven't seen anything quite this cool.
Passengers aboard an Icelandair flight were treated to a spectacular view of the Bardarbunga volcano Wednesday morning when the pilot decided to veer off course, according to a tweet sent out by the airline. The airline says the pilot rerouted the plane to circle the volcano specifically to give the fliers a chance to check it out more closely.
Iceland has dozens of volcanoes, according to Volcano Discovery, but the Bardarbunga is the only one currently erupting. Icelandic authorities initially closed the airspace around the volcano when it began spewing lava last month, after earthquakes rocked the volcano. Officials then raised the country's aviation alert to its highest level, indicating a risk of "significant emission of ash into the atmosphere" according to the Associated Press. Icelandic meteorologists said the seismic activity near volcano had dropped and its lava eruption appeared to be less active, the AP reported Tuesday.
The last time an Icelandic volcano made headlines air travelers got far more misery than glee. Back in 2010 Eyafjallajökull became the word all television reporters struggled to pronounce as the Icelanic volcano known by that complicated name started spewing ash at an astounding rate. The ash clogged up popular flight routes so much that more than 100,000 flights were canceled.
The next year the Grimsvotn volcano had a smaller but similar impact on flights when winds blew ash over parts of northern Europe.
Check out other cool pics snapped in the sky.
Air passengers shoot majestic photos of lake ice
Pilot snaps amazing aerial photos of Paris from the cockpit
- Latest mortgage news: Rates pushing toward 7%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Spanx just launched the ‘perfect dresses’ that are ultra-flattering…
- The sweater vest is the easiest style trend of the season — shop 5 cut…
- These are the 5 pants trends you’re going to see everywhere this fall …
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!