By ANDREW TAVANI
As September and the final three weeks of summer get underway, look back on the month of August in photos.
The August collection has a particular summer flavor to it -- a beluga whale spitting water on spectators during a heat wave at an outdoor aquarium in Japan, the Supermoon rising over Madrid, an incredible double rainbow over a farm in Germany, a web of lightning in the night sky above protesters in Ferguson, and Darth Vader flanked by storm troopers throwing out the first pitch at Dodger Stadium.
One of the most stunning images in the August edition is an impeccably timed shot that creates the illusion that the setting sun is perched atop the point of the Great Pyramid of Giza. The image was captured by 35-year-old Jorge Cano, an Argentinian national who lives in Cairo. Cano, an engineer for a global supply company, lives on the ninth floor of an apartment building in south Cairo's Maadi neighborhood.
He told AOL.com in an email that when he moved to Cairo, he specifically sought out an apartment with a view of the pyramids.
"I'm not a professional photographer, but I'm passionate about taking pictures," he said.
During his time there, he's taken many photos of the pyramids and the setting sun. He had pictures of the sun just to the right of the Great Pyramid and pictures of the sun just to its left. But the money shot eluded him for more than a year.
"Then I just made an estimation and was waiting for the day [that the sun would be perfectly positioned]," he explained. "Finally I've got the shot."
And what sort of camera was used to nail the shot? A modest "G15 pocket camera," he revealed, adding that his higher-powered DSLR camera was busy shooting a time-lapse video of the sunset. It's hard to tell, though, as the photo, bathed in smoldering orange sunlight, is difficult to not stare at.
Other great images include a shot of the action in Spain's annual "La Tomatina" festival, an impressionistic photo of a couple competing at the 2014 Tango World Championship in Buenos Aires and pro tennis player Caroline Wozniacki, of Denmark, caught in the midst of a major hair malfunction during play at the U.S. Open.
It was the last full summer month of 2014, so take some time to reflect and take a close look at your world through the mighty camera lens. See you next month.
More amazing photos of the month:
For 30 amazing photos from July, click here.
For 30 amazing photos from June, click here.
For 31 amazing photos from May, click here.
For 30 amazing photos from April, click here.
For 31 amazing photos from March, click here.
For 28 amazing photos from February, click here.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Moms reveal the first time they really felt like a mom
- Score an ‘Amazon’s Choice’ air purifier on sale for 20% off right now:…
- If you’ve always wanted a robot vacuum, here’s your chance to score on…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!