Some scary news for those in the Northeast -- the water you're drinking might be hurting your health.
New data shows several communities in Maine and other New England states are drinking and using water with dangerously high levels of fluoride.
The toxic substance, which is often used in pesticides, can cause bone damage and possibly even a decline in IQ.
A Harvard Study in 2012 concluded that children who live in areas with high-fluoride water levels have significantly lower IQ scores.
The areas cited in the recent data reportedly contain more than twice the amount deemed acceptable for exposure by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
The New England states are at higher risk because of granite, which is known to contain high levels of fluoride. Researchers suspect the substance is being drawn into water wells.
Unfortunately, it will take more than a counter top filter attachment to protect against the risk. Health officials recommend advanced technology that isn't too cheap -- but there's always Smart Water.
Also on AOL:
How to survive a day without enough sleep
Preview Blue lobster saved from the plate, given to aquarium
Tiny houses could solve homeless problem
- Latest mortgage news: Rates retreat a bit
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Equity Into Cash
- Refinance And Have More Cash Each Month
- Unlock Your Exclusive Refi Rates Now
- 10 great kitchen items that are on sale this weekend (so get them A…
- 93,000 Amazon shoppers have given this knit beanie a 5-star rating
- These insulated snow pants are a No. 1 best seller on Amazon and are u…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!