By: Dr. Karen Latimer
Hemlines historically have been used to demonstrate independence and confidence. A hundred years ago, a glimpse of a lady's ankle in public was shocking. Now, thanks to flappers, hippies and women of all ages and shapes, we can show a little leg without causing outrage. However, there is a time and a place for everything."If you wear short skirts, you get your femininity back." – Heather MillsRecently, while walking through a restaurant with my husband and another couple, we stopped to check out a party in full swing. Girls, all wearing black dresses shorter and tighter than the band in a Robert Palmer video, were dancing to Beyonce. I can appreciate sexy legs as much as anyone, so for a few seconds it was hard to look away. Then, my friend saw the congratulations sign and announced it was a Bat Mitzvah celebration. The girls were not more than 13. We all averted our eyes quickly and the men, both of whom have daughters, ran for the door. While I try very hard to not pass parenting judgment, I have to admit, my initial thought was, "How could their mothers let them out of the house looking like that?"
While wearing a short skirt is a right of passage, you may want to set some boundaries. Precocious attire on adolescents and teens always seems a little sad, no matter how open minded I want to be. While some fights are not worth fighting, and kids need fashion independence to express themselves, school is not a party, and like it or not, they will be judged by their appearance.
Click through the gallery above for a few tips!
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next ou…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Instagram says you need a Brandon Blackwood bag this summer — and now,…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!