Official: Militants asked for $132.5 million ransom

8 PHOTOS
James foley
See Gallery
Official: Militants asked for $132.5 million ransom
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE


BY LARA JAKES and MICHAEL MELIA

WASHINGTON (AP) - A U.S. official says the Islamic State militants who beheaded American journalist James Foley in Syria had demanded $132.5 million - or 100 million Euros- in ransom for his release.

A second U.S. official says the demands were sent in emails to Foley's family in New Hampshire. Both officials spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ransom demands by name.

Separately, Foley's former employer said that the militants first demanded the money late last year.

GlobalPost CEO Philip Balboni also indicated that European governments paid far less to have the Islamic State release their hostages.

U.S. policy prohibits the government negotiating with terrorists, including paying ransom.

A video of Foley's beheading was released on websites Tuesday.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.