By RYAN GORMAN
A Florida man was arrested after being found with nearly 300 sea turtle eggs, authorities said.
The unidentified St. Lucie County man was caught by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) agents after a local snitched on him for taking the eggs from a beach.
Agents checked a sea turtle nest and then used a canine unit to track down the egg thief, who has at least one prior arrest in 2002 for the same crime.
A backpack with 299 sea turtle eggs was found in the man's possession, the FWC said.
Sea turtles are a protected endangered species in Florida, and the man faces both state and federal charges for the thefts, according to the agency.
The eggs are sold on the black market for about $30 per dozen, according to the Palm Beach Post.
They are seen as an aphrodisiac by some cultures that bake them into food and even use them in religious ceremonies.
Egg stealing appears to be a problem in the Sunshine State.
Numerous people have been arrested for pilfering sea turtle eggs, including a man with multiple arrests for the crime since 2005.
Penalties for disturbing sea turtle nests are stiff – up to five years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine.
A message left with the FWC seeking more information has yet to be returned.
Wave 'crashes' wedding photos, coolest couple ever stays in the ocean
Beaches invaded by thousands of Velella velella
U.S. Coast Guard rescues turtle tangled in fishing line
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- The 9 best men’s pajamas that’ll keep you cool, even for the sweati…
- DSW’s latest epic sale includes up to 50% off must-have summer sneaker…
- These tech gifts under $100 are great for the grads in your life becau…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!