Police: Woman poisoned by 'toxic' tea at Utah restaurant

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon
Police: Woman Poisoned by 'Toxic' Tea at Restaurant

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah - A woman eating at a Dickey's Barbeque Pit in South Jordan is in critical condition after she was poisoned from a cup of sweet tea, according to police.

6 PHOTOS
Toxic tea in Utah
See Gallery
Police: Woman poisoned by 'toxic' tea at Utah restaurant
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Within seconds of tasting the drink Sunday afternoon, authorities said 67-year-old Jan Harding's mouth and throat started to burn.

An analysis of the drink by police found there was not only tea in the serving container but a mix of cleaning chemicals as well.

"I don't know how much was put into this drink but from what I understand, it was a highly toxic substance and the amount in there caused some severe burns to her mouth and her throat," South Jordan Officer Sam Winkler said.

Inside Harding's glass was a mixture of tea and what authorities said the restaurant uses to clean the fryers.

It's a cleaning blend made up of 67 percent sodium hydroxide, a chemical that can be deadly when ingested.

"It can cause pretty severe burns, potentially burn through the esophagus and cause some severe bleeding and internal injuries," Dr. Spencer Smith said, who works in the emergency room at the U hospital.

FOX 13 News reached out to the franchise owner, Finger Lickin Brands LLC., which runs the South Jordan Dickey's as well as others.

In a statement, company president John Thomson said: "Our thoughts and prayers go out to our guest and her family. Safety is something we take very seriously when it comes to our valued guests, as well as our own team members. At this time we are fully involved in cooperating with all parties. Out of respect for the privacy of our guest and her family, we will reserve further remarks for the time being."

Harding, a Sandy resident, was rushed to a nearby hospital and later taken by medical helicopter to the University of Utah Hospital's burn center where she is in critical condition.

"Is this something that was stored improperly? Was it an accident? Was it intentional? We really don't know," Winkler said "That's why our investigators are looking in on this case."

Following Sunday's incident, the Salt Lake County Health Department was called to the restaurant to inspect the facility.

Officials found there was no existing risk to the public after completing a routine review.

Related:
Best Barbecue Restaurants Across the Country
Restaurant Health Standards
Tea
Fast Food Barbecue
Barbecue
Summer Cocktail Recipes

More to see:
Extraterrestrial found using Google Moon? (Probably not)
Liberia gets Ebola drug; ponders who should get it
Man gets up to 67 years for beating 3-year-old boy
Family has close encounter with 25-foot rare shark

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners

Cops Catch Up To A Suspicious Speeding Vehicle - And Make An Appalling Discovery Inside Cops Catch Up To A Suspicious Speeding Vehicle - And Make An Appalling Discovery Inside
Don't Get Too Close To a Newborn Giraffe Unless You Want to Get Kicked in the Nuts Don't Get Too Close To a Newborn Giraffe Unless You Want to Get Kicked in the Nuts
If You Find One Of These In Your Yard, Don't Touch It - And Try Not To Panic If You Find One Of These In Your Yard, Don't Touch It - And Try Not To Panic