A fugitive couple - on the run since 2009 - is now in custody after U.S. Marshals arrested the two in Portland, Oregon. But one of them is getting more attention than the other.
NWCN reports that "A big bust in Portland: U.S. Marshals arrested the one-and-only woman on their top 15 Most Wanted list."
Janet Barreto made the headline on CNN as well, with the outlet describing how, "For five years, they pursued her, always one step behind as she used aliases and altered her appearance to elude them."
Barreto and her husband Ramon are accused of killing a 2-year-old Guatemalan girl they adopted, as well as keeping seven others in horrible conditions and torturing them at their home in Mississippi.
WMC-TV reported "Filth and smell - the smell is something I'll never forget."
"Investigators say the children were duct-taped to beds, dunked under water and even punched in the stomach."
Even the U.S. Marshals' statement on the case focuses on Barreto with an official writing, "Janet Barreto is a malicious individual who allegedly abused innocent children on multiple occasions and forced them to live in appalling conditions."
Police say the couple went on the run after making bail before their trial. As for how the couple were able to elude police for so long?
KPTV: "They were great people. Really nice, very friendly ... They didn't seem to me like they were hiding from anything, but to find out that they were 180 degrees from what they portrayed, I mean they should've gone into acting."
As The Oregonian reports, the couple had been living at an apartment complex in Vancouver, Washington, for as long as a year before being arrested in a shopping mall parking lot after authorities got a tip on their whereabouts.
Now the pair will reportedly be extradited back to Mississippi to face charges of manslaughter of a child, child abuse, child neglect, tampering with a witness and unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.
Also on AOL:
Pope's historic S. Korea visit met with missile fire
First active DI football player comes out as gay
Tourists awed by unexpected 'mega-pod'
Israel, Hamas to extend truce
800-lb. sea creature rescued off NJ coast
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!