Ever been so frustrated with your cell phone's dying battery you could scream?
Well, someday your yells of frustration might actually fix the problem.
Nokia has partnered with Queen Mary University of London to develop a method of charging phones using sound waves.
The device is roughly the size of the Nokia's Lumia 925. It uses zinc oxide to convert vibrations caused by sound into electricity, which then charges the phone's battery.
Gizmag writes the device is capable of producing five volts of electricity which is plenty to charge a phone. All the sound the device needs is "everyday background noise" such as traffic, music and voices. Screams not required.
One of the researchers who constructed the device hopes it will have long-term implications for technology: "Being able to keep mobile devices working for longer, or do away with batteries completely by tapping into the stray energy that is all around us is an exciting concept. ... We hope that we have brought this technology closer to viability."
Although, this isn't the only device that uses sound waves to charge phones.
In 2011, British mobile phone company Orange tested a t-shirt that uses a similar method to convert sound waves to electricity intended to charge phones.
Another device developed by uBeam uses the reverse method to charge phones by converting electricity into sound and transmitting it to a cell phone.
All these devices are in varying stages of development. There's no word when, if ever, they will be available to consumers.
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Yes, petite people can wear maxi dresses — here are 6 must-buy styl…
- Get these Target clearance finds under $30 for spring before they’re g…
- Bed Bath & Beyond is having a huge sale with items up to 50% off — but…
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program