In an effort to sell its first-ever smartphone, OnePlus began a contest called "Ladies First."
It might sound nice, even chivalrous but it's not. At all. In fact...it was so controversial that the company has reportedly pulled the promo.
OnePlus is only letting people buy their new phone, the One, by invitation. The "Ladies First" contest allowed women to get the exclusive offer by drawing the company logo on their body, or a sheet of paper (according to The Verge), and take a selfie. The photo would be posted in the OnePlus forum and the 50 most liked pictures got a free shirt and the option to buy the phone...at full price.
So basically women would "get the opportunity" to be judged based on our looks and win the great prize of spending our own money. Makes total sense.
The company released a statement to several tech sites calling the contest a "misguided effort" and explained it was only trying to encourage women to "get involved with and excited about the amazing things happening in tech right now."
You'd think a tech company would realize if women wanted to be judged based solely on their looks and still pay for things they'd just use their Instagram account...
or Chive - If you aren't familiar with it give it a Google. They offer the same awesome gift of...wait for it...a t shirt.
- Latest mortgage news: Rates close in on 6%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Grab these Sur La Table 4th of July deals before they’re gone — pri…
- Celebrate the 4th of July with these bold red, white and blue snack bo…
- Make your Pride party extra colorful this year with these themed cockt…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!