A 22-year-old Riverside woman was arrested for workers' compensation fraud after YouTube videos surfaced showing her participating in beauty pageants at the same time she claimed to be unable to work due to a foot injury.
KTLA reports: Shawna Lynn Palmer claimed she fractured her toe in March while working as a clerk for Stater Brothers in Riverside, according to a news release from the California Department of Insurance.
Palmer insisted she was unable to put weight on her foot or wear a shoe for any length of time, the release stated.
Two days later, Palmer was seen on a YouTube video competing in the 2014 Miss Toyota Long Beach Grand Prix pageant while wearing high heels, according to Byron Tucker, Deputy Insurance Commissioner.
"People might want to say ... here's a young lady who had beauty and ... bravado in making these claims ... but it really didn't add up on the brains side of it," Tucker said.
Palmer went back to the doctor a week after the pageant with similar complaints about pain and was given crutches, Tucker said.
Within days, though, video posted online showed Palmer was competing again.
"Because of the amount of exposure that she had on social media websites it wasn't too hard to track this down," Tucker said.
If convicted, Palmer faced up to one year in county jail, three years probation and restitution of $24,000.
Palmer did not respond to KTLA's request for a comment.
Workers Compensation Laws
Miss. America 2014
Toyota Long Beach Grand Prix
Social Media Changes
Also on AOL:
Bride's 'reasons you're not invited' list goes viral
'The Singles Project' series premiere: Things get awkward fast
Twigs, wheat, fillers could be in your coffee
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- 5 gluten-free foods from Walmart that taste amazing
- Amazon’s Echo Buds are on super-sale for a limited time
- Here’s how to make chocolate chip cookie shot glasses filled with milk
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance