On this day in 1934, the most dangerous prisoners in the United States were transported to the treacherous island of Alcatraz off of San Francisco Bay. Later that month, Al Capone, one of the most famous felons in history, would arrive after being arrested for tax evasion.
More on This Day in History...
1965: Deadly rioting broke out in the Watts section of Los Angeles.
1973: "American Graffiti" hit theaters.
1992: The Mall of America opened in Bloomington, Minnesota.
2006: The TSA banned all liquids, gels and aerosols from flights.
August 11th in history
August 11 horoscope
Take a look inside Al Capone's mansion! Click through the gallery below!
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!