A hospital in central France is taking a non-traditional approach in an effort to make the final days of terminally ill patients a little better.
They plan to serve alcohol -- including wine, whisky and champagne -- to the sick and their loved ones.
The change comes at in the palliative care unit at the Clermont-Ferrand Hospital and it's meant for people with a serious illness.
"A spokesperson said the point of the program is to improve patient's quality of life in their final days," WTIC-TV reports.
Dr. Guastella, who came up with the idea, explained to The Local's French outlet, the goal is to give people a chance to relax. "It's because life is so precious and real until the end that we decided to cultivate all that is fine and good. It's a way of rethinking the care of others, taking into account their feelings and emotions that make them a human being."
It was once believed the resveratrol and antioxidants in red wine could be good for your health - especially the heart.
But recent studies have proven otherwise, reporting a glass of wine a day doesn't actually do much to minimize your chances of developing health problems. However, French doctors say that's not really the point of the new offering.
Notably, the French and their wine have quite an extensive history - which make the hospital's change not all that surprising to some outlets.
The Telegraph calls the move, "an unprecedented but characteristically Gallic way to improve their quality of life."
According to Discovery, Gaul, now modern day France, began cultivating and consuming wine some 2,600 years ago - eventually becoming a staple in the culture.
Case in point: according to officials, all the alcohol the bar serves was donated by local residents. The experience will be supervised by specially trained hospital staff.
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- Amazon shoppers rave about these $25 rain boots that ‘are a steal in c…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance