Work can be a stressful place - there's even a name for it, occupational stress. And a new study finds, depending on where you work, being on the job can be detrimental to your health.
According to the study, published Friday, there are a lot of factors to consider. Things like job stress, exposure to air pollution like dust and secondhand smoke, noise - all raise your risk of heart attack and stroke.
And certain types of jobs are more detrimental than others, too.
From Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: "Workers with a college degree were less likely than workers with less education to report a history of CHD/stroke."
The study also explains it's easy to get caught in a vicious cycle. If you're a smoker and you're stressed out at work, you have more trouble quitting smoking. If you're already at risk for heart attack, a stressful job certainly won't help.
CBS reports gender was a factor, too - working men and former smokers were more at risk than working women and nonsmokers for heart disease and stroke.
But what's perhaps more alarming is the chance of unemployed adults developing health issues. Among unemployed people looking for work, 2.5 percent had an increased risk of heart disease and stroke, and those not looking for a job jumped to 6.3 percent.
It's long been known unemployment can do a number on your health - according to previous studies, unemployed individuals are more likely to become obese, have high blood pressure and develop other dangerous conditions.
According to the CDC, heart disease remains the leading cause of death among Americans - a stat that led a professor of cardiology to remind HealthDay preventative steps should be taken within the workplace.
"Implement and take advantage of comprehensive workplace wellness programs and better utilize effective interventions to prevent heart disease and stroke."
It's important to note there were limitations during the research for this study, and no cause-and-effect link between employment status and heart health was found, only an association.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 2.0% APR (15 yr)
- Experts Urge Americans to Refinance in 2021
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- 7 breezy jumpsuits to wear to that summer wedding instead of a dres…
- 5 epic tea bombs from TikTok that are total eye candy
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson takes his daughters fishing and shares cute …
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!