The Louvre is a must-see tourist attraction for those visiting Paris, but there's a very unwelcome visitor in the gardens outside of it: rats. Cue the horror film music.
France 24 reports "Experts estimate that in Paris there are approximately two rats for every Parisian. And in the Tuileries gardens next to the Louvre, the furry vermin have become so used to humans, they don't even hide."
So, that's a lot of rats. How did they all get there?
It seems people are pointing their fingers towards tourists as the party responsible for the problem. The Guardian spoke with a local gardener, who said:
"The tourists throw their scraps of pizza and sandwiches all over the place."
Although The Local reports rats in public gardens have been an issue in the past, too.
"For some tourists the rats are all part of the Parisian experience, thanks to Disney animation Ratatouille."
The movie is about a rat in Paris who aspires to become a chef. Though that rat is a lot cuter than real rats.
There seems to be a slight variation in how the story is being portrayed. American outlets seem to be using the word "infestation" in its headlines.
ABC: "They are having problems with a major infestation of them."
But headlines from overseas were a bit more generous. While the word "infestation" may be used in those articles, the headlines say things like "rampage" and "overrun." Although we would say "plague" is a bit dramatic.
The Louvre says pesticides are used regularly, and officials have brought in outside help. The story picked up steam after a photographer took pictures of the rats.More on AOL:
Baltimore police incite anger with controversial rule
Massive water main break floods UCLA
'Bachelorette' loser dishes dirt
North Dakota's Badlands totally transformed
The next craze for donut lovers
- Latest mortgage news: Rates jump to their highest since March 2020
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Your Best Refinance Rates for January 2022
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- ‘Smartest baby’ knows all her animal sounds at just 9 months old: ‘…
- Wife hasn’t spoken to husband in a week, so he ‘makes her talk’ with h…
- Amazon shoppers say this gadget is a game-changer for deep-cleaning ti…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!