By CHELSEA HUANG
As the conflict in Israel and Gaza escalates and negative rhetoric continues to dominate the conversation, two Hunter College students have created a refreshing social media campaign that aims to spread love rather than hate, according to Mashable.
Abraham Gutman, who is Israeli, and Dania Darwish, who is Syrian, posted a photo of themselves with the hashtag #JewsAndArabsRefuseToBeEnemies and launched a Facebook page under the same name.
"With tempers only rising both on the ground and in social media platforms, we thought it would be productive to remind people that they are allowed to refuse to join the hateful discourse," Gutman wrote in an editorial for the Christian Science Monitor.
The campaign has proved successful, spreading like wildfire on the web and inviting Jews and Arabs around the world to share their own stories.
Sulome Anderson, a half-Lebanese journalist, participated in the campaign by posting a photo of herself kissing her Jewish boyfriend. Her photo went viral, garnering thousands of retweets and favorites, and has become the face of the campaign.
In a piece for New York Magazine, Anderson wrote that she and Jeremy would frequently argue over Israeli-Palestinian issues. She had firsthand experience working in Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon, while her boyfriend once witnessed a bus bombing when he lived in Israel.
"He had seen that violence from the other side. As the region exploded into war, we started to come closer together in our opinions given the fact that we both share critical values: respect and concern for human life," she wrote.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next ou…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Instagram says you need a Brandon Blackwood bag this summer — and now,…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!