It's known as the Tower of David in Venezuela and is thought to be the world's tallest slum. Now, thousands of squatters are being forced to leave.
The BBC reports "The building has stopped, the money has run out and the squatters have moved in. ... This is a symbol, in many ways, of what Venezuela has become. All of those dreams dashed and a country on the edge."
And if that looks familiar to you, it may be because the Tower of David was featured in the thriller TV series "Homeland."
Which is probably a big reason why the story is making so many Western headlines.
There could be as many 3,000 squatters living in the Caracas high-rise. The Washington Post reports the minister for revolutionary transformation told reporters it is not an eviction.
He instead calls it "peaceful" and labels it a "coordinated operation."
But just because he's not calling it an eviction doesn't mean others aren't.
The people living there aren't being led onto the street. NBC reports they're going south of Caracas into new homes as part of a state housing project.
The program is expected to build 3 million homes by 2019, something The Guardian called "astonishing."
"Although they are state-provided, the new homes become the occupants' property, financed by mortgages. The cost of the house varies according to income: the very poorest get a 100% subsidy."
It's unclear what will happen to the tower, but some reporters are speculating Chinese banks were looking to restore it.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next ou…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Instagram says you need a Brandon Blackwood bag this summer — and now,…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!