The biggest fish in the sea is taking to new waters.
The whale shark can reach more than 40 feet in length and weigh up to 47,000 pounds!
But these massive beings are actually quite harmless, compared to their smaller relatives like the great white.
They use their thousands of teeth to catch only tiny creatures in the water for food.
The gentle giants prefer warmer waters - between 79 and 86 degrees - which is likely why they're being found around the Azores Islands, an area in the central North Atlantic where nine volcanic isles sit.
Researchers decided to look into why the sharks were frequenting the islands more often with the help of tuna fisherman - because whale sharks almost always carry a school of tuna underneath them.
They studied whale sighting over a 16 year period and found a significant rise in 2008 when it was exceptionally warm. More sharks were also sighted around the southernmost region of the islands which has higher water temperatures.
This lead experts to believe the sharks are seeking new waters because of rising sea temperatures caused by climate change. They plan to continue their research to see if the amount of food or mating also plays a role.
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next ou…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Instagram says you need a Brandon Blackwood bag this summer — and now,…
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program