Reports of a deadly virus are coming out of Massachusetts. It's called the Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus (EEE) and it was found in mosquitoes.
So far there's just one confirmed case of a person being infected in the state, and it's the mosquitoes in Plymouth County that are reportedly carrying it. The U.S. only sees about four to six cases every year.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, symptoms include brain swelling, severe headaches, fever and body aches and typically last 1 to 2 weeks. Approximately a third of people infected die from the disease.
Researchers say it isn't something to stay shut indoors about, but they do recommend staying away from the bugs as usual.
Last year, Massachusetts collected more than 6,000 mosquito samples, with 1 percent testing positive for the virus. The positive samples were collected from 27 towns across six counties.
Experts suggest avoiding wooded or wet areas and wearing bug spray to lower your chances of being bitten by the mosquitoes.
More on AOL:
Chikungunya virus contracted in U.S. for first time
300 vials labeled influenza, dengue found at lab
U.S. lawmakers press CDC chief over 'dangerous pattern' of lapses
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!