Could there be 56 United States of America? That's what one billionaire is pushing for in California.
Timothy Draper says he has the signatures to put that big idea, he calls the "Six Californians," on a ballot. The venture capitalist submitted the first batch of petitions with more than 1 million signatures to election officials, which is more than enough to qualify the measure.
A video on the initiative's website draws out, literally, how things will be split. Draper, who has spent $4.9 million of his own money trying to make this happen, says the Golden State needs a "reboot." He said in a press release that the state is just too big to govern and splitting it would boost the economy and make it easier to govern.
But a poll shows 59% of Californians aren't up for it. Even if does win voters over in 2016, Congress would have to give it the official stamp of approval. Good luck with that.
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits pause — but still near 13-y…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- These pasta cupcakes are the ultimate savory dish
- Jump-start your morning with these delicious egg sandwich recipes
- Anxious Reddit parents wonder just how bad the baby formula shortage i…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!