Twenty-one years ago, Jim Valvano took the stage during the first ESPY Awards at Madison Square Garden and delivered one of the most iconic speeches in sports history.
You remember the famous line: "Don't give up. Don't ever give up."
The former N.C. State coach, who shocked the hoops community when his 1983 team upset Houston's Phi Slama Jama to win the national championship, inspired a much larger community during his battle with cancer.
On March 4, 1993, Valvano was honored with the inaugural Arthur Ashe Courage and Humanitarian Award at the ESPY Awards. Despite his failing health, Valvano spoke for more than 10 minutes about his life and his illness with a positivity.
He passed away several weeks later at age 47.
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!