Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, Neil Armstrong and Michael Collins were all in their 30s as millions of Americans followed their historic venture to the surface of the moon.
The three astronauts had been in space before, but this was a mission that was new to the entire world. It took two years of studying the lunar surface to make it happen.
NASA planners had to find the perfect site and time for landing. The surface had to be flat enough and be exposed to enough sunlight for a safe landing.
Collins didn't get to experience the lunar surface, as he stayed aboard the command module Columbia and orbited the moon.
Four days after the launch, Armstrong and Aldrin hopped into the lunar module nicknamed "Eagle" and landed on the moon.
After two hours of system checks and a quick bite, Armstrong took the very first steps.
Aldrin followed shortly after.
Armstrong spent a little more than two and a half hours outside the spacecraft and they both traveled around 3,300 feet walking around the moon.
And in case you weren't around for the big event, you're in luck!
NASA will be live tweeting as if social media were around 45 years ago. The media team based at the Kennedy Space Center will be using the hashtag #apollo11 so you can follow along.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Nikki and Brie Bella share their must-have mom gear ahead of Mother…
- There are so many cute tie-dye joggers on sale for cheap at Nordstrom …
- These geometric wine glasses will make even Trader Joe’s wine feel fan…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!