German officials are so worried about U.S. spying, they're apparently going back to typewriters.
Patrick Sensburg is Germany's head investigator on CIA and NSA spying. He told a German news program that his committee is moving away from electronic communications and using typewriters instead - and he was totally serious about it.
It's understandable his committee is trying to be extra cautious. It was at the heart of a double agent scandal earlier this month when a German official was arrested for passing information on the committee to the CIA.
They might be going a little overboard, though. A German newspaper, Die Welt, reported this week that the committee has started kicking off its meetings by having everyone put their phones in a metal box and cranking up classical music to mask the conversation from listening devices.
But they also aren't the first to see going old school as the best way to counter electronic spying.
A Russian paper, Izvestia, reported last year that the countries security service had ordered 20 mechanical typewriters in response to Edward Snowden's leaks on the NSA.
But will it work? Declassified NSA documents show that bugging typewriters was all the rage back in the Cold War, so we know spy agencies have plenty of practice at this sort of thing.
But unlike electronic data collection, bugging a typewriter requires someone to actually go and put the bug in, so at the very least it's a lot less convenient for the spies.
Still, with one double agent arrested and another under investigation in Germany, it's become pretty clear that technology isn't the country's weak point.
As a writer for The Telegraph puts it, "Rather than snooping on data, cracking safes or deciphering the sound of key strokes, it seems easiest for the NSA and CIA to simply pay German officials to hand the information over."
Still, it's nice to see a little James Bond-era cloak and dagger back in the spying game.
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance