This might sound like the plot of a scary sci-fi thriller - but it's real.
A Colorado man caught the rarest and most fatal form of the plague and it can be spread in the air from coughing and sneezing.
It's called pneumonic plague and the last confirmed case was in 2004. According to the health department, 60 human cases have been identified in Colorado since 1957 - nine of those were fatal.
It's caused by the same bacteria as the bubonic plague but it targets the lungs.
The man has not been identified, but health officials believe he caught the infection from his dog, which died unexpectedly and also tested positive for lethal pathogen. Fortunately, they don't think the virus is out in the air putting others at risk.
The state's Department of Public Health and Environment's press release explains the man and his dog might have been exposed in Adams County, near Denver and anyone walking in open spaces and trails should avoid contact with rodents.
Officials are looking for people who may have had contact with the man so they can be treated with antibiotics.
Earlier this year, archaeologists in England uncovered bones from a cemetery for victims of the bubonic plague that ravaged Europe in the 14th century.
More from AOL.com:
Poignant end to the 'Archie' comic series
Cake boss saved while on his boat
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Thousands of Amazon shoppers love this $20 shoulder bag that’s the …
- Cozy up outside with this top-rated fire pit that’s $110 off on Amazon
- Want to try Whole30? Here’s how to get started
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance