PAMPLONA, Spain (AP) -- An American and a Briton were among seven people injured Friday as hundreds of daredevils took part in the fifth running of the bulls at Spain's San Fermin festival in Pamplona.
The Spanish Red Cross said no one was gored in the hair-raising run but many runners could be seen slipping and falling on top of each other on the wet, cobblestone route. Some were trampled on by the half-ton beasts.
A Navarra regional government statement said a 48-year-old man from New York was treated for light head injuries, as was a 46-year-old man from Paisley, Scotland.
It said five Spaniards were also treated in city hospitals for minor injuries sustained the race.
In the early morning runs, hundreds of people test their agility and bravery by racing with six fighting bulls along a 930-yard (850-meter) course from a holding pen to the city's bull ring.
Dozens of people are injured each year in the "encierros," as the runs are called in Spanish, most of them in falls.
Fifteen people have died from gorings since record-keeping began in 1924.
Four Spaniards and an American have been gored so far in this year's festival but only one, a Spaniard, was said to be in serious condition.
The runs are the highlight of the nine-day street-partying festival, which was immortalized in Ernest Hemingway's 1926 novel "The Sun Also Rises." The festival attracts tens of thousands of foreign tourists.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!