By ERIC LYONS and NADIA SIKANDER
While the San Fermin festival, where bulls chase revelers or fans through the streets of Pamplona, is world famous, few have heard of the astonishing festival that takes place each year around the same time in the coastal town of Denia, 370 miles south of Pamplona.
According to the German newspaper, Spiegel International, the Bous a la Mar, or Bulls to the Sea, began in 1926 to commemorate Pedro Esteve, a monk who is believed to have saved the town from the plague in 1633. The festival is continued today by thousands and attracts tourists from around the world.
Spiegel International explains that the spectacle begins with a young bull running from the middle of town to a makeshift bullring located near the port. Spectators then attempt provoke the bull without using their hands or arms, in an effort to propel it into the sea. Often, the stubborn bull knows better and will attack participants. Earlier this week, a man suffered severe bleeding after he was gored by a bull when he tripped and fell on the beach.
After the bull tumbles, or in some instances, jumps into the ocean, men in nearby boats lasso it and safely bring it back to land. The day's festivities close with a large celebration and concert. The annual festival has faced heavy criticism, KMOV.com reports, but fans passionately defend the longtime tradition.
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next ou…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Instagram says you need a Brandon Blackwood bag this summer — and now,…
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program